Despite What You Heard on the News, Life Does Not Suck

Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2009 | Posted by Jaba |

Yesterday, Republicans took back a couple Governor spots. It appears that voters based much of their decision on the economy and nagging concerns about jobs. It got me thinking: are things really that bad? If you’re a college dropout mill worker in mid-America, life probably sucks. But I suspect life would suck for you even in a good economy. How about people like me, people in my socio-economic group?

After much deliberation, I came to the conclusion that life in fact, does not suck for many of us. In addition, I believe that things are looking better and that the future ahead is as bright as ever.

So with that, here are my top 10 signs the economy is improving (and that everyone is a whining b*tch)

- It’s pretty much damn impossible to book a $125 massage session on less than a day’s notice.

- Of the 89 Facebook friends I have, only 2 lost their jobs during the past 12 months with 1 getting a new job in the interim. That’s a 1.1% unemployment rate.

- Expensive seafood restaurants in San Diego are packed on a random Tuesday evening.

- My friend who works at Bloomingdale’s sold 10 expensive suits last Saturday. I added an 11th on Sunday.

- I have to wait 20 minutes to get my shoes shined at Nordstrom’s. Average tips I saw were $10-$20.

- Every investment banker that comes to visit at work is all giddy again. Lots of talk of capital and risk coming back into the system.

- There was a 30 minute line to check out of the costume store the day before Halloween. People apparently have discretionary income to blow $50 on a cheesy costume.

- $1,000 to $2,000 per night suites in Vegas are in short supply. We couldn’t even book one of the party suites ($3,000 per night) at the Palms cause they were all sold out.

- My net worth is at least 20 percent higher than one year ago even though my company stock sucks balls.

OK, I could only come up with 9 but bottom line, I think people are watching the news and projecting the whining and gloom-and-doom of the should-be-unemployed to their own lives. If you’re employed, have savings, and life is generally pretty good, stop acting like you’re some god-damn unemployed college dropout mill worker in mid-America.

0 comments: